The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), through the Centre for Learning on
Evaluation and Results Anglophone Africa (CLEAR-AA) situated within the faculty of
Commerce, Law and Management (CLM), invites qualified individuals to apply for
the position: Junior Researcher (Communications, Knowledge Management (KM)
and Learning officer) on a 2 year (24 months) contract.
Reporting to the Executive Manager and working with and through all CLEAR-AA
staff the incumbent will be expected to:
Manage and implement CLEAR-AAs 360 0 internal and external communications,
knowledge management (KM) and Learning functions. Supervise the development
of content from all interns and Junior Researchers per business line, create
communication and collaboration strategies. S/he will present CLEAR-AA to the
public as a critical Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) thought leader. The incumbent
will provide and manage content as well as lead the development process through
various content and review phases of online projects. S/he will ensure all online
copy is strategically sound, brand-appropriate, search engine optimised and aligned
with CLEAR-AA’s overall developmental and creative approach. The job typically
requires a bachelor's degree in an area of business or communications as well as
strong writing and public speaking skills.
Strategically raise the awareness of CLEAR-AA within Wits and strategic partner
• Develop and implement a central Communications, KM and Learning strategy
for CLEAR-AA (this will have a strong focus on building Communities of Practice
and collaboration with partners); the strategy will clearly define a segmentation
of the audience and associated key messaging; as well as a dissemination
strategy per audience per output;
• Develop, produce and disseminate a range of communications, marketing and
knowledge management tools and assets e.g. blogs, posters, pamphlets,
banners, fact sheets, press releases, media toolkits, brochures, templates for a
range of communications e.g. PowerPoint, letterheads, business cards,
academic papers, policy briefs; Vlogs, infographics etc…. provide daily updates
on the CLEAR-AA app (Uwazi); respond to app and web queries within 24 hours;
deepen the penetration, build and expand omni-channels (facebook, twitter,
tumbler, e-blogger, etc…)
• Organize press conferences and media interviews with Twende Mbele
management, partners and subject matter experts.
• Organise global or local events and ensure reach of appropriate attendees.
• Act as the CLEAR-AA content and collaboration officer, in other words is
responsible for maintaining all social and digital media platforms; place regular
and relevant and informative content on all our platforms.
• Ongoing development and monitoring of the CLEAR-AA website and app traffic,
(data analytics); produce monthly reports to the Executive Manager on
movement; as well as how to optimise and drive traffic to all CLEAER-AA digital
sites; respond to queries within 24 hours.
• Manage and enhance (bulk sms and email) the contacts database: ensure all
staff update the database.
• Host and maintain the CLEAR-AA photo library (including taking regular
photographs and videoclips of all CLEAR-AA events and interventions),
• Film and edit all CLEAR-AA training and events and develop VLOGs. Develop a
weekly VLOG to be placed on the various digital platforms;
Peer to peer learning
• Networking with key stakeholders and developing peer-to-peer learning
opportunities for CLEAR-AA
Promote and strengthen internal communications and support the ongoing
internal learning ‘Padkos’ monthly events.
• Collate and edit the quarterly report.
• Draft the Annual report content.
• Write one blog per week for website and cross posting.
• Organise workshops, and assist with the logistics and facilitation for training,
technical assistance and dissemination of learning events.
• Develop, update and disseminate the annual events calendar.
• Support the quality assurance process for the monitoring tool.
• Oversee the procurement of external print and design service providers, and
project manage these processes.
• Manage all administrative support, correspondence and monthly reporting on
• Masters degree or post-graduate studies communications, or other related field
such as journalism, public affairs, public relations, marketing, or in international
relations, development studies or public administration.
• 3 years relevant work experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Proven experience and understanding of communications, knowledge
management and outreach at an international level, and proven ability to
position and advocate for issues effectively using omni-channels (media).
• Experience working on conception, design, packaging, production and
dissemination of communication and knowledge products to a variety of
audiences, and understanding of omni-channel dissemination.
• Previous work experience with government and/or international development
agencies would be an asset.
• Understanding of M&E is an advantage.
• Excellent and proven writing, editing and language skills, and an ability to
convey complex ideas in a concise, clear, direct, and lively style.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to meet deadlines and to
manage multiple tasks efficiently, ability to take initiative and be innovative.
• Working knowledge of relevant computer software such as MS Office,
WordPress, infographics programmes, Adobe, electronic email procedures.
• In addition, CLEAR-AA requires knowledge of website development or content
• Ability to be a team player and working in a collaborative environment.
• Strong, results-oriented research and analytical skills and ability to find
innovative solutions to real world problems.
• Attention to detail, knowledge of academic protocols and standards is
preferable but optional.
• Innovative and strategic thinking ability.
• Strong work ethic and high standards for achievement.
To submit your application for the above mentioned posts, please register
(https://irec.wits.ac.za) and upload your detailed curriculum vitae including covering
letter as well as name, address and contact details (including telephone numbers
and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees. Please
attach the following: your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with
professional bodies you might belong to and a portfolio of media and Knowledge
assets produced. If you have problems with registration on our portal forward C.V
and all documents to Makgala.email@example.com
Enquiries (Job Content Only)
Ms Laurie Less
Closing date 20 th May 2018
African Evalaution Network (AEN) at the University of Johannesburg (UJ) is launching the first annual Africa Evidence Leadership Award, to recognise and honour people who have raised the awareness of evidence-informed decision-making (EIDM) in Africa. The aim of the award is to showcase the status of Africa in global EIDM discussions by recognising impactful, insightful, and innovative engagement with EIDM in Africa. Both research evidence producers and users of research evidence such as civil servants are eligible to apply for the award, valued at USD4000. Click here for more information http://www.africaevidencenetwork.org/uj-launches-africa-evidence-leadership-award/
The Twende Mbele initiative is looking for a bilingual (English/French) Communications and Learning Coordinator. This is a one year fixed term contract based in Johannesburg. The closing date for application is 10 February 2018. Read more about the vacancy Communication and Learning Coordinator
The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), through the CLEAR-AA invites qualified individuals of substantive stature to apply for the following senior position on a two-year renewable contract basis at a market-related remuneration package. Reporting to the Director, the successful candidates will be expected to translate the Centre’s vision and strategy into delivery of high-quality technical advisory services in the area of Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) and knowledge generation. Click here for more information Senior M&E Technical specialists