The University of the Witwatersrand (Wits), through the Centre for Learning on
Evaluation and Results Anglophone Africa (CLEAR-AA) situated within the faculty of
Commerce, Law and Management (CLM), invites qualified individuals to apply for
the position: Junior Researcher (Communications, Knowledge Management (KM)
and Learning officer) on a 2 year (24 months) contract.
Reporting to the Executive Manager and working with and through all CLEAR-AA
staff the incumbent will be expected to:
Manage and implement CLEAR-AAs 360 0 internal and external communications,
knowledge management (KM) and Learning functions. Supervise the development
of content from all interns and Junior Researchers per business line, create
communication and collaboration strategies. S/he will present CLEAR-AA to the
public as a critical Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) thought leader. The incumbent
will provide and manage content as well as lead the development process through
various content and review phases of online projects. S/he will ensure all online
copy is strategically sound, brand-appropriate, search engine optimised and aligned
with CLEAR-AA’s overall developmental and creative approach. The job typically
requires a bachelor's degree in an area of business or communications as well as
strong writing and public speaking skills.
Strategically raise the awareness of CLEAR-AA within Wits and strategic partner
• Develop and implement a central Communications, KM and Learning strategy
for CLEAR-AA (this will have a strong focus on building Communities of Practice
and collaboration with partners); the strategy will clearly define a segmentation
of the audience and associated key messaging; as well as a dissemination
strategy per audience per output;
• Develop, produce and disseminate a range of communications, marketing and
knowledge management tools and assets e.g. blogs, posters, pamphlets,
banners, fact sheets, press releases, media toolkits, brochures, templates for a
range of communications e.g. PowerPoint, letterheads, business cards,
academic papers, policy briefs; Vlogs, infographics etc…. provide daily updates
on the CLEAR-AA app (Uwazi); respond to app and web queries within 24 hours;
deepen the penetration, build and expand omni-channels (facebook, twitter,
tumbler, e-blogger, etc…)
• Organize press conferences and media interviews with Twende Mbele
management, partners and subject matter experts.
• Organise global or local events and ensure reach of appropriate attendees.
• Act as the CLEAR-AA content and collaboration officer, in other words is
responsible for maintaining all social and digital media platforms; place regular
and relevant and informative content on all our platforms.
• Ongoing development and monitoring of the CLEAR-AA website and app traffic,
(data analytics); produce monthly reports to the Executive Manager on
movement; as well as how to optimise and drive traffic to all CLEAER-AA digital
sites; respond to queries within 24 hours.
• Manage and enhance (bulk sms and email) the contacts database: ensure all
staff update the database.
• Host and maintain the CLEAR-AA photo library (including taking regular
photographs and videoclips of all CLEAR-AA events and interventions),
• Film and edit all CLEAR-AA training and events and develop VLOGs. Develop a
weekly VLOG to be placed on the various digital platforms;
Peer to peer learning
• Networking with key stakeholders and developing peer-to-peer learning
opportunities for CLEAR-AA
Promote and strengthen internal communications and support the ongoing
internal learning ‘Padkos’ monthly events.
• Collate and edit the quarterly report.
• Draft the Annual report content.
• Write one blog per week for website and cross posting.
• Organise workshops, and assist with the logistics and facilitation for training,
technical assistance and dissemination of learning events.
• Develop, update and disseminate the annual events calendar.
• Support the quality assurance process for the monitoring tool.
• Oversee the procurement of external print and design service providers, and
project manage these processes.
• Manage all administrative support, correspondence and monthly reporting on
• Masters degree or post-graduate studies communications, or other related field
such as journalism, public affairs, public relations, marketing, or in international
relations, development studies or public administration.
• 3 years relevant work experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Proven experience and understanding of communications, knowledge
management and outreach at an international level, and proven ability to
position and advocate for issues effectively using omni-channels (media).
• Experience working on conception, design, packaging, production and
dissemination of communication and knowledge products to a variety of
audiences, and understanding of omni-channel dissemination.
• Previous work experience with government and/or international development
agencies would be an asset.
• Understanding of M&E is an advantage.
• Excellent and proven writing, editing and language skills, and an ability to
convey complex ideas in a concise, clear, direct, and lively style.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, ability to meet deadlines and to
manage multiple tasks efficiently, ability to take initiative and be innovative.
• Working knowledge of relevant computer software such as MS Office,
WordPress, infographics programmes, Adobe, electronic email procedures.
• In addition, CLEAR-AA requires knowledge of website development or content
• Ability to be a team player and working in a collaborative environment.
• Strong, results-oriented research and analytical skills and ability to find
innovative solutions to real world problems.
• Attention to detail, knowledge of academic protocols and standards is
preferable but optional.
• Innovative and strategic thinking ability.
• Strong work ethic and high standards for achievement.
To submit your application for the above mentioned posts, please register
(https://irec.wits.ac.za) and upload your detailed curriculum vitae including covering
letter as well as name, address and contact details (including telephone numbers
and e-mail addresses) of at least three traceable and credible referees. Please
attach the following: your highest academic qualification, proof of registration with
professional bodies you might belong to and a portfolio of media and Knowledge
assets produced. If you have problems with registration on our portal forward C.V
and all documents to Makgala.email@example.com
Enquiries (Job Content Only)
Ms Laurie Less
Closing date 20 th May 2018